This page is for those who want the instructions to apply a balloon-fold in origami.
Balloon-fold consists of two diagonal valley-folds and one horizontal mountain-fold.
This technique is usually used to make a base called a balloon base.
The instruction is shown below. Just click on "Ascend" button. You will be given a step-by-step guide how to apply a fold. If you miss a step, then just click on "Descend" button to go back to the previous step.
If the screen is blank, just wait until it shows a message saying "Are you ready to get started?". If you find any bugs on this instruction, please send an email to.
If you are ready now, let's have a fun learning to apply a balloon-fold in origami.
Are you ready to get started?
Here you will learn how to apply a balloon-fold in origami.
A balloon-fold consists of two diagonal valley-folds and one horizontal mountain-fold.
1. Prepare to apply a diagonal valley-fold and then unfold.
It is good to remember the arrow symbol that represents a valley-fold and a subsequent unfold.
2. Prepare to apply another diagonal valley-fold and then unfold.
3. Prepare to turn the paper over.
The arrow direction represents the paper movement.
4. Prepare to valley-fold in half horizontally and then unfold.
5. Prepare to valley-fold in half vertically and then unfold.
6. Prepare to turn the paper over.
7. Prepare to apply a balloon-fold consisting of two diagonal valley-folds and a horizontal mountain-fold.
8. Congratulation! You have completed applying a balloon-fold.
The "balloon-fold" symbol is represented by two valley-folded and one mountain-folded lines.
If we apply "balloon-fold", then a square paper will be turned into a "balloon base" .
In the next page, the instruction will show how to apply the balloon-fold in detail.